Bratwurst with Bacon and Apple Sauerkraut
Fantastic Bratwurst Recipe - perfect for Oktoberfest celebrations. German cooks braise sauerkraut with onions, apples, seasonings, a touch of sugar and a little of the region's Riesling wine, creating an addictive accompaniment for juicy bratwurst. We recommend using Swiss Deli Veal Bratwurst or Spicy Bratwurst for this dish.
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 80 min
You will need:
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 200g Swiss Deli Streaky Bacon, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 very large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons off-dry white wine (Riesling works best)
- 1 large sweet apple (Gala or Fuji), peeled, cored and cut into 1cm pieces
- 12 juniper berries
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1kg sauerkraut—drained, rinsed and squeezed dry
- 12 Swiss Deli Veal Bratwurst sausages (can also use Spicy Bratwurst)
- Grainy mustard, for serving
2- Add the onion to the casserole, cover partially and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until very soft, about 20 minutes. Increase the heat to moderately high. Add the wine, apple, juniper berries, bay leaves, sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and boil for 3 minutes. Add the water and the sauerkraut. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the apple is very tender, about 45 minutes.
3- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil until shimmering. Poke the Swiss Deli Veal Bratwurst sausages several times with a fork and cook them over moderate heat, turning several times, until golden and heated through, about 8 minutes.
4- Spoon the sauerkraut onto a platter and arrange the sausages on top. Sprinkle the reserved bacon over the sausages and serve with mustard.