Bratwurst with Crushed Potatoes and Caramelised Red Onion
This is a hearty winter dish. Swiss Deli Spicy Bratwurst with its coarse texture, chilli and soft cheese filling blends perfectly with creamy potatoes and sweet caramelised onions. You can also use any other Swiss Deli bratwurst sausage such as Nurnberger or Pork Bratwurst.
Preparation Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 80 min
You will need:
- 4 Swiss Deli Spicy Bratwurst
- 50g butter
- olive oil
- 500g red onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 small sprigs rosemary
- 4 small sprigs thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 20 new potatoes
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 100ml double cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
2. Place the new potatoes in a medium-sized saucepan that has a tightfitting lid along with 1 tablespoon olive oil, the garlic, the remaining thyme and a little seasoning. Fry very gently for 30–40 minutes – the same amount of time that it takes to cook the onions. Give the pan a vigorous shake from time to time.
3. Place the Swiss Deli Spicy Bratwurst in a small frying pan with 2 teaspoons olive oil and cook over gentle heat, turning occasionally, until golden brown.
4. Transfer the cooked potatoes to a bowl, add the cream and parsley and barely crush with a fork or potato masher. Serve alongside the sausages, scattered with the caramelised red onions.