Currywurst with Chips
If you want a recommendation for this dish, ask a German. Over 800 million portions of hot sausage with curry sauce are sold in Germany every year. You don’t have to use Currywurst for this recipe – more or less any Swiss Deli precooked bratwurst sausage will do.
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 min
You will need:
- 4 Swiss Deli Currywurst Sausages
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 50g butter
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 100ml crème fraîche
- 200ml coconut cream
- 8 medium potatoes, scrubbed clean but not peeled, and cut into chips
- oil for deep-frying
- flaky sea salt
2. Add the tinned tomato, tomato purée, crème fraîche and coconut cream and simmer for ten minutes to allow the spices to release their flavours.
3. Heat the Swiss Deli Currywurst sausages in a pan of boiling water. As soon as you add the sausages to the pot, take the pan off the heat and leave it to one side until you need the sausages.
4. Cook up four portions of chips (or buy them from a takeaway). Gently fry them in the oil at roughly 110ºC until cooked but uncoloured, then remove them from the oil. Heat the oil further until shimmering (roughly 160–180ºC) and fry the chips for a further three to four minutes until golden brown. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper. Season with flaky sea salt if you like.
5. Cut the Currywurst into chunks, pour the curry sauce over them and serve with the chips.